DEPARTMENT OF ALABAMA
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
1231 Carmichael Way
Montgomery, Alabama 36106
September 1, 2014
GENERAL ORDER NO. 3 2014-2015 SERIES
1. MEMBERSHIP: We currently have 1,313 members reported for 8.94%. We appreciate your support as we start the “Honor Pride Tradition Remembrance” membership year for 2014-2015. We need 6,028 members to reach 50% by September 30, 2014. See page 18 of the 2014-2015 Program Book to see how Post and District Commander of the Month are determined.
2. Department General Orders are to be read/discussed at the next Post/District meeting and filed for reference. All current General Orders can be reviewed online at www.alvfw.org.
3. FALL CONFERENCE: will be held at the Birmingham Marriott, Birmingham, AL from October 31 – November 2, 2014 For reservations call 1-205-968-3775. Room rates are $110.00 plus tax. Registration fee for Fall Conference is $50.00. There will be no registration after Noon October 24, 2014.
4. NATIONAL VETERANS DAY IN BIRMINGHAM: The Awards Dinner will be on November 10th. Awards Dinner tickets are $30.00 each. World Peace Luncheon tickets are $25.00 each. Tables of 8 are available. Hotel reservations can be made at the Birmingham Marriott, 3590 Grandview Pkwy, Birmingham, AL. Telephone #205-968-3775.
5. QUARTERMASTER BONDS: Quartermaster Bonds are due in August each year. The bond covers from September 1st thru August 31st. It is the duty of the Post commander to see that the Post is properly bonded. Post Adjutants should contact an agency in your community or call the State Adjutant. Please forward copy of declaration page to Department showing amount of bond and policy dates.
6. Anyone with an e-mail address wishing to receive a copy of all correspondence posted on the web site should send their e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. DISPOSAL OF POST PROPERTY: Article VII Section 709 National By-Laws require any Post desiring to sell or mortgage its property must give notice of the meeting to consider the sale or mortgage to each member of the Post and to the Department Commander ten (10) days prior to the meeting and the sale or mortgage must be approved by two-thirds vote of those members present and voting at the meeting.
8. ALL STATE TEAM: The State Commander will select an ALL STATE TEAM based on the performance of each individual Post. Prerequisites are listed in the 2014-2015 Program Book. It is every Commanders responsibility to know these requirements and points that are available. Being Quota Buster will not always make the team.
9. Any member who wants their name on the list for National Appointment must have ten new or reinstated members by December 31.
10. COMMANDERS: You are requested to insure that all members realize and understand that any conduct unbecoming during State Conferences and Conventions where the State or District has contracted with any Hotel or other business is subject to the National By-Laws and Manual of Procedure. Any and all complaints should be submitted either in writing or delivered directly to the Convention Committee Chairman or State Adjutant. The Convention Committee Chairman submits a report to the Hotel Management on all complaints received during the contracted period. Any member who goes directly to the hotel staff is not conductive to Good of the Order and will not be tolerated.
11. COMMANDERS: are reminded that any member or guest barred from a Post for violation of By-Laws and/or conduct unbecoming will be allowed to attend all regular scheduled or special called post membership meeting. They may arrive fifteen (15) minutes before scheduled meeting and must leave immediately following close of meeting. They may not purchase any type beverage and entering upon the property at any other time subjects them to arrest for trespassing on VFW property.
12. POST RESERVE: Attention is directed to section 218(a)(5)(f), Manual of Procedure which mandates Post Quartermasters to maintain a dues reserve fund as prescribed in section 717 of the National By-Laws and the Manual of Procedure.
13. Attention of Post Commanders is directed to Section 1001 (24) of the Manual of Procedure concerning alcoholic beverages in the Post meeting room during Post meetings. The presence, dispensation, and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in VFW meeting rooms during VFW meetings is unacceptable and is prohibited.
14. The State Council of Administration voted and the State Commander has reconfirmed that there will be no smoking in a State VFW meeting, this includes District meetings. National By-Laws require all Post Commanders or a representative to attend all District meetings and due to health reasons some are not able to attend due to smoking. Meetings usually only last one (1) hour and if required, due to time, a short recess may be requested to accommodate the ones that smoke.
15. NATIONAL SPECIAL ORDER #370: dated July 31, 2014 states the Life Membership of Darrell Russell, Life Membership No. 4928858, Gentry-Isom Post No. 2702, Huntsville, Alabama has been terminated due to ineligibility.
OFFICIAL BY ORDER OF:
Johnny Waller CALVIN UNDERWOOD